Grand Junction Ice Storm By the Numbers
This week's weather has been very unusual in Grand Junction and here's a look at this week's ice storm by the numbers.
The Grand Junction Police Department reports this was the first ice storm warning in Grand Junction history. Here are some interesting facts and figures reported to us by Grand Junction Police regarding this week's icy conditions.
- 11 vehicles in Grand Junction's Snow Removal Fleet
- 3 a.m. the time street crews reported to work
- 929 calls fielded by 9-1-1 dispatch between 5 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- 74 wrecks requiring immediate public safety response
- 22 calls to 9-1-1 between 6 a.m. and noon reporting falls on ice and requiring emergency response personnel
- 12-hour shifts worked by the city street division
- 25 degrees the point at which salt loses its effectiveness in melting ice
We still have snow and rain in the forecast in western Colorado for the next few days, but, with any luck, there will not be a repeat of the conditions that created such havoc for a day in the Grand Junction area.