Five Reasons to Enjoy Fruita’s Thursday Night Concert Series
I enjoyed the chance to perform last night as part of Fruita's Thursday Night Concert Series. It was a blast. You should make a point to check this out every week. Here are my top five reasons why.
Last night, Thursday, July 5, the Frank Bregar Orchestra performed an evening of standards along with big band arrangements of contemporary music. We loved it. As near as I could tell, the audience loved it, too.
This was the first time in a decade the Frank Bregar Orchestra had played this event. That's too long. While the crowd was excellent, I would have enjoyed seeing even more music lovers in attendance.
Here are my top five reasons why you should make a point to attend these concerts every Thursday evening.
- This series features a very eclectic selection of music, ranging from Country to Pop, and in our case, Big Band.
- By 7:30 p.m., the time at which these performances start, the temperature is reasonable. Most bands play through 9;30 p.m., which means you get to enjoy a little music under the stars.
- Live music on a Thursday night is awesome. You can always find live music on a Friday or Saturday. Most Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra concerts, and even performances from ensembles at the university, fall on Tuesday evenings.What about Thursdays? Well, here you go.
- It's a great chance to connect with friends and neighbors. I must have run into 20 people last night I hadn't seen in years.
- It's free. That's right, free. How often do you hear that anymore?
Catch these shows every chance you get. Unfortunately, the season is already half over. Here's the rundown for the remainder of Summer 2018.
- July 12 - Peach Street Revival
- July 19 - Stray Grass
- July 26 - Soul Habit
- August 2 - Timber
- August 9 - The Williams Brothers Band
Grab a lawn chair, maybe even a little bug spray, and make your way to Fruita's Civic Center Park. Downbeat is at 7:30. People tend to show up early in order to get a spot with shade. There's plenty of convenient parking, so you won't have to walk far. See you next Thursday.