The Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles in Colorado: Is Your Car a Target for Thieves?
14,859 is a large number, especially when it is how many vehicles were reported stolen in Colorado last year. The Colorado Auto Theft Intelligence Coordination Center said this was almost a 30% increase in motor vehicle thefts from 2014.
Although there seems no rhyme or reason for someone stealing a car, these are the top 10 vehicles prone to auto theft in the state of Colorado.
- 1997 Honda Civic
- 1997 Honda Accord
- 2005 Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- 1999 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- 2000 Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- 2001 Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- 1996 Subaru Legacy
- 1994 Acura Integra
- 1989 Toyota Camry
- 2014 Toyota Corolla
No matter what vehicle you drive, you should be careful. There's a newly formed coalition, Coloradans Against Auto Theft (CAAT), that is working on educating the public on what they can do to prevent their chances of becoming a victim of a stolen car.
4 tips on preventing auto theft:
- Don't leave your car running, unattended. This includes warming it up in the winter.
- Always lock your car, even inside your garage or somewhere that seems harmless.
- Park in well-lit areas
- Don't leave your spare keys in the car.
Have you ever had any experience with auto theft?