Movember Brings ‘Mo’ Awareness to Men’s Health
Movember, the month formerly known as November, has been deemed National Men’s Health Awareness Month. Throughout the month of Movember, men (and women) show their support by growing a killer mustache to bring awareness to health issues that only men face. This month, Townsquare Media Grand Junction will be sprouting our own ‘staches to show our support.
Movember is focusing on improving awareness for some of the most serious health issues affecting men, like prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health issues and physical inactivity. Here are some quick facts about these serious issues:
- Prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer affecting men in the United States.
- One in seven men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- One American dies from prostate cancer every 19 minutes.
- In 2015, there are an estimated 220,800 men diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- Over the last 50 years, men diagnosed with testicular cancer has doubled.
- Young men, 15 – 34, are the most common to be diagnosed with testicular cancer.
- Each year, about 8,430 new cases are diagnosed.
- About one in four adults experience a mental health problem in the US.
- Men 40 – 59 have the highest rate of depression.
- On average, 87 men commit suicide each day.
- Inadequate physical activity leads to approximately 3.2 million deaths a year.
- Physical inactivity is the fourth leading risk to global deaths.
- 41% of men in high-income countries don’t get enough exercise.
The good news is, you can help (even if you don’t sprout a mustache). If you want to step up and support the cause right now, you can click through and donate without leaving your chair. When you find a cause you want to get behind, check them out at Charity Navigator to see how exactly your money will be spent and how your charity ranks among others with similar missions.
- Movember Foundation – the Movember Foundation is a global charity committed to men living happier and healthier lives. Donate here.
- Prostate Cancer Foundation – PCF is dedicated to prostate cancer research for better treatments and cures. Donate here.
- The Testicular Cancer Society – The Testicular Cancer Society’s mission is to increase awareness and education about testicular cancer and provide support for fighters, survivors, and caregivers.
- The Livestrong Foundation – Focused on Survivorship, but still interested in funding Testicular Cancer research.