Tips On How to Survive A Rattlesnake Bite When You Are Hiking
A Colorado hiker has died after being bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking near Golden.
According to the Denver Post, 31-year-old Daniel Hohs was bitten in the ankle while hiking the Mount Galbraith trail in Golden. Emergency responders hiked in about a mile and a half to where Hos was located, but he was pronounced dead later at the hospital.
It’s pretty rare in Colorado to hear of someone being killed by a rattlesnake, but it does happen. So, what should you do if you ever find yourself in this situation? Knowing what to do or not to do could mean the difference between life and death.
Here are some things hikers should keep in mind when it comes to snake bites, courtesy of Dr. Brad Dahl from the Utah Poison Control Center.
- Wearing jeans and boots when hiking in snake country
- If you are bitten, try to stay calm and remove yourself from the snake
- Contrary to popular belief, do not apply a tourniquet
- Don’t try to cut or suck the poison out
- Never hike alone, but if you are alone, begin walking slowly back to the trailhead rather than wait to see if you start having symptoms
- Call 9-1-1 as soon as possible
BONUS VIDEO: One of the Easiest and Most Educational Local Hikes