Grand Junction Flower Shop Closing After 97 Years
After 97 years of service to Western Colorado, Johnson's House of Flowers at 1350 North Avenue in Grand Junction, will be closing its doors.
The longest running retail business on North Avenue will be shutting down for good on March 31.
I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. My last visit to Johnson's House of Flowers was just five days ago, purchasing a plant for my family following the death of my uncle. Looking back over the years, I bet I've bought plants or flowers at that store at least a hundred times.
Here are a few examples off the top of my head.
- The corsage and boutonniere for my Senior Prom (1988)
- Flowers for my grandmother's funeral (2009)
- Flowers for my great grandmother's funeral (1999)
- Flowers for my grandpa's (Mom's side) funeral (2000)
- Flowers for my grandpa's (Dad's side) funeral (1996)
- Two plants when I bought my new house (2000)
- Flowers when I asked my ex (girlfriend) out for a second date (1993)
There are plenty more escaping my memory. Johnson's offered great prices, a very convenient location, and fast delivery.
Thank you for your service to our community, Johnson's House of Flowers. It will be awkward driving down North Avenue without seeing your sign. The shop ranks right up there as one of the icons of the Grand Valley. You will be missed.